February 6, 2013
- vegetable oil cooking spray for oiling
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 5 tbsp superfine sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 rice bananas, sliced
- 3/8 cup no-soak dried dates, pitted and chopped
- 4 tbsp skim milk
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400’f/200’c , spray a 1-2 cup muffin pan with vegetable oil cooking spray, or line it with 12 muffin paper liners. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and allspice into a mixing bowl. Add the superfine sugar and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites together, mash the sliced bananas in a separate bowl, then add them to the egg whites. Add the dates, then pour in the skim milk and maple syrup and stir together gently to mix.
- add the banana and date mixture to the flour mixture and then gently stir together until just combines. Do not over stir the batter, it is for it to be a little lumpy.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly between the 12 cups in the muffin pan or the paper liners (they should be about two-thirds full) transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and serve warm, or place them on a cooling rack and let cool.