- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp margarine melted
- 2 medium onions (about 10 ounces, sliced 3/8 inch thick)
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 450’F. spray large nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, chili powder, pepper, and salt in medium shallow dish; mix well. Stir in margarine and 1 tsp water.
- separate onion sliced into rings, place egg whites in large bowl; beat lightly. add onions; toss lightly to coat evenly. transfer to bread crumb mixture, toss to coat evenly. Place in single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until onions are tender and coating is crisp.