- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 pieces boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Japanese breadcrumbs
- oil for deep-frying
- 2 cups water
- 4 (110-gram) pieces instant Japanese curry cubes (see tip below)
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- spring onions for garnish
- pickled radish (optional)
1 Boil carrots and potatoes until tender. Set aside.
2 Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, beat egg with milk. Dredge chicken in flour, dip in the egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs, pressing gently for the crumbs to adhere.
3 Heat oil and deep-fry chicken a few pieces at a time. Drain on paper towels. Slice each fillet into three or four strips.
4 In a medium saucepan, boil water. Add curry cubes and stir to dissolve. Let simmer until slightly thick. Add the cooked carrots and potatoes.
5 Fill four large rice bowls with 1 cup each of steaming rice. Top each with equal portions of chicken, carrots, and potatoes. Pour half cup of curry sauce on the side of each rice bowl. Garnish with spring onions. Serve with pickled radish on the side.