GLOSSY CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 2 oz/60 g dark chocolate
- 4 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brandy or rum, optional
- 4 bananas
- 2/3 cup double heavy cream
- 8-12 scoops of good quality vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds, toasted
- granted or flaked chocolate, to sprinkle
- 4 fan wafer cookies
1. To make the chocolate sauce, break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl with the syrup and butter. Heat over a pan of hot water until melted. Stirring until well combined. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the brandy or rum if using.
2. Slice the bananas and ship the cream until just holding its shape. Place a scoop of ice cream in the bottom of 4 tall sundae dishes. Top with slices of banana, some chocolate sauce, a spoonful of cream, and a good sprinkling of nuts.
3. Repeat the layers, finishing with a good dollop of cream, sprinkled with nuts, and a little grated or flaked chocolate. Serve with fan wafer cookies.