- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 oz/140g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 4 tsp dark rum
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tsp superfine sugar
- 1-2 tsp unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
1. Prepare 5 sheets of baking parchment by drawing an 7 inch/18 cm circle on each, then use them to line cookie sheets.
2. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch and stain it into the egg whites, a little at a time, whisking constantly until firm peaks form.
3. Spoon the meringue mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Starting from the center, pipe five spirals, measuring 7 inches/18cm, on each of the prepared pieces of baking parchment.
4. Bake in a preheated oven, at the lowest possible temperature with the door slightly ajar,for 6 hours or overnight.
5. After baking, carefully peel the meringue spirals from the baking parchment and place on wire racks to cool.
6. To make the filling, pour the cream into a small pan and place over a low heat. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove the pan from the heat and beat the mixture with a hand-held whisk. Beat in the rum, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for as long as the meringues are baking.
7. To assemble the gateau, beat the filling with an electric mixer until thick and smooth. Place three of the meringue layers on a counter and spread the filling over them. Stack the three layers, one on top of the other, and place an uncovered meringue layer on top. crush the fifth meringue into crumbs.
8. to make the decoration , whisk the cream with the sugar until thick. carefully spread the mixture over the top of the gateau. sprinkle the meringue crumbs on top